BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday

6. Pro-Sex Reassignment:

It is appropriate to change an individual from a "he" to a "she" (or vice versa) if there is a mistake in the organisms genetic development or in a surgical procedure.

As free citizens of America we should theoritically have the freedom to operate on our own bodies, and preform a sex reassignment operation. Suppose you were a man, who wanted to undergo this procedure to become a woman. Suppose you had Gender Identity Disorder, which is the condition when someone suffers from significant gender dyphoria. Would you want to be held hostage in a male body, where although your physical appearance is masculine, internally, you feel female and yearn to act the way a woman would. Life like that causes much distress, and you know the saying, "You only have one life to live, but if you live it to the fullest, one is all you need." If you had GID and you were unable to have the sex reassignment procedure, you would not have the will much less the ability to live your life to the fullest because your physical appearance will always stand in the way. So why not do one operation and then live your life "to the fullest". Moreover, one out of every two thousand babies born has ambiguous gentiles. And although this is rare, when it does occur, don't you think that baby should have the right to become either male or female, rather than living the rest of their life in embarrassment or confusion?
Although very few, there are still people out there who suffer from GID and are born as transsexuals, and don't they deserve a life as 'normal' as our own?

Facts:

Studies show that 9/10 transexual who undergo surgical sex reassignment surgery experience a satisfactory result.

This condition is usually not just the reluctenence to identify with the traditional roles of males and females, but it is also the inner sense to be the other gender.

GID may cause distress because the patient may be unsure about what type of cloths to wear at a social gatherings, who to bring with them as their guest, or how they should dance during the gathering.

Most Transsexuals are about 30 points higher than a regular individual.


Bibliography:
Human Genetics pg. 119- Sex reassignment: Making a Biological "He" into a Social "She"

5 comments:

Arianna Nasser said...

Hey Khatib!

I think you have a very good argument here. I like how you separated the more compelling, emotional portion from the factual one. The only thing I might suggest would be to add some links or sources, but other than that, it was great! I look forward to reading your debate reflection, since I won't get to see it in your class.

~Nasser

Kelly Jones said...

Tala, you have a lot of good information here. I like how you have facts and opinions. I wish I would get to watch your debate! I wish I could get to watch all of them. A lot of good information is coming out of everyones blogs so far!

Anonymous said...

I think your debate went GREAT, especially since I know you're actually against this. You got very into it, and you had some great points. However, adding a conclusion to it would've been nice, I think.

Tin Nguyen said...

I like how you mentioned the Gender Identity Disorder because I didn't think about how people could be born trapped in the wrong gender's body. I also like how you used statistical facts like, "one out of every two thousand babies born has ambiguous gentiles." Facts like these really catch many peoples' attentions and I think you did a good job of doing so.

Forrest said...

I think that your post is very well researched. I don't think I saw your debate, but I probably went well. Good job!